Educational Support Departments » About Us » FAQs




What do I do when my child is absent? An parent or legal guardian should report the absence on the Attendance Hotline at 858-538-5692 the morning of each day’s absence. Since California requires absences to be excused by an adult, absences may not be excused via e-mail. See more attendance Information



What if I need to pick my child up early, or just take them to the dentist?  There are a couple of things you can do.  Please have your child bring a note to the Attendance Office before school telling us what time you need him or her in the office. If no note has been provided to the child, please call the Attendance hotline as soon as possible at 858-538-5692.  The messages are checked throughout the day. We will have your student waiting for you to sign them out at the time you need them. All students must be signed out in the office. See Daily Schedule



We ask that parents not bring homework, P.E. clothes, band instruments, lunch money or lunches that students have forgotten to the school for student pick up. Late work will not be delivered to class nor will messages regarding delivery of homework be sent to the students. We are working to keep our student's classroom interruptions to a minimum. At no time will individual or group online/call-in food orders be allowed for delivery. 



What do I do if my child will be late? If a student is not in their seat by 8:27 am [Warning bell sounds at 8:22 am] and on Wednesdays 9:25 am [Warning bell sounds at 8:22 am], he or she is tardy. They will need to check-in at the attendance desk. If your student’s tardy is to be excused, we ask that a parent or legal guardian please call and leave a message on the attendance hotline.  If you are unable to call, please either send your student with a signed note, or walk your student in.  If a student has an un-excused tardy that is more than 30 minutes late he or she will be considered truant to their missed classes. See Attendance Information



What do I do if we have to take our child on a trip with us, or will be out for a medical reason? If there is a planned absence for five or more consecutive days, please contact the attendance clerk and all of your child's teachers at least two weeks prior to the absence to set up a homework contract for the student. This allows the student to do the work that he or she would be doing if they were in class and helps the school to continue to be funded by the state. (Note: OCIS contracts will not be made for medical absences; however, home tutors may be appropriate for some extended medical problems. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact Deb Nunez, MVMS Attendance Clerk, at [email protected] or 858-538-5478 ext. 3104 as soon as possible regarding home tutors. See Attendance Information



How do I get homework for unplanned absences? The best way to get homework is to check Learning Point, the teacher’s website, or contact the teacher by email.



What if there is a problem with my child’s lunch account? is an online payment portal especially designed to allow parents to make quick and easy online payments to their children's school accounts. The system allows parents to manage their children's lunch accounts, and manage other school accounts (such as lab fees or book fees), quickly and easily.  |



What if my child needs to contact me? A student phone is available for use in the Admin Center.



What if I don’t want my child to do P. E? State law says that parents may excuse a student from P. E. for up to three days, after which they must have a doctor’s excuse. See PE Department Page



What if my child needs to stay after school? Supervision will be available for one half hour after school. Students should be off campus by 3:30 p.m. unless in an approved after school activity.



What if my child needs to take medicine at school? Before any medication (prescribed or over-the-counter) can be given during school hours, an Authorization for Medication Administration form (PUSD H-26) must be on file. Both physician and parent/guardian signatures are required. All medication is kept in the Health Office and must be in the prescription container or original packaging, labeled with the student's name. The Health Technician will supervise self-administration of the medication during school hours. If a medical condition warrants a student to have immediate access to their medication, a physician and parent must sign an Authorization to Carry Medication While At School form (PUSD H-26B), allowing the student to carry their medication with them during school hours.
Exceptions: throat lozenges and cough drops require written parent permission only. District Health Information & Forms   |   MVMS Health Information



How do I contact my child’s teacher? You can e-mail via our website or call them. During school hours calls go directly to voice mail. See the teacher contact Information.



  1.  What do we do if my child loses their bus pass? The cost of a lost, altered, stolen or damaged buss pass is $20.00 (cash only). You or your child should bring the money to our office. Your child will get a temporary bus pass, and we will order a new bus pass. 
  2.  Can my child ride the bus without a bus pass? Yes, but each ride costs $4 (cash only). Please pay the bus driver directly with a letter from the parent giving permission to ride the bus. 
  3.  Do the students need a special bus pass to ride the activity bus? Yes, if a student is attending a supervised activity on campus from 3:20 pm to 4:20 pm, they must have a bus pass. If the student does not have a regular bus pass, they must be prepared to pay the bus driver $4 (cash only) along with a letter from the parent giving permission to ride the bus. 
  4.  Can my child ride the bus to a friend’s house? Yes, but they must have your written permission along with $4 (cash only). 
  5.  What if my child lost something on the bus? PUSD Transportation maintains its own lost and found. If they know who owns the lost item, they will send it to the school through our District mail (which takes a couple of days). You can also call transportation at 858-679-2636 to see if they have your lost item.
  6.  What if I have a complaint about the bus/bus driver? PLEASE call transportation directly at 858-679-2636. They are the ones who can fix a problem.